Thursday, May 16, 2013

Okra to be or not to be

  This is a post from another blog, I had, but let me just say I am so excited for it to me Okra season soon! I loved the Okra so much it is now one of my favorite things to grow!

Let me say okra has creeped me out for years, I am from the South, grew-up with people eating the slimy, green, squishy vegetable… but I would not & did not.
Yesterday my friend Amy & I went to the 12th South Farmers Market (http://www.12southfarmersmarket.com/) , I love to buy from local farms and eat what ever is in season, personally think it’s great for our bodies. We went by to see one of my favorite vendors www.delvinfarms.com. Cindy Devlin had some beautiful kale, peppers, squashes and some simply gorgeous PURPLE OKRA. I mentioned how lovely it was & started to head out with my bunches of kale, (for kale chips, kale salad, I heart kale). Cindy , asked if I had ever had roasted okra… I said no, & made that it’s gross face. She simply said “It’s not slimy, it’s crunchy” She had me… I think I love french fries because they crunch.
Pre-heat your over to a super hot 475 +
1 bunch of FRESH okra, either purple or green wash & dry. Place on a baking sheet & drizzle with Organic Extra Virgin Oil Olive, sprinkle with some sea salt & pepper, mix them all up with your hands because its so fun to use your hands and lay them single file on the sheet. Pop them into the oven in for 6 minutes flip them over stick them back in the oven and let them sizzle, thinking our cooked for about 18 mins.
As I pulled them out my hubs said, I don’t really like Okra, but I’ll try it…
Well, we inhaled them, I barley got to grab a picture of the finished okra, that turned a deep green as they cooked. On Saturday when I hit up another Farmers Market, I’ll be grabbing more okra!!!!
image

No comments:

Post a Comment