Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Cozy Brunch





I woke this morning and just did not want to get out off bed, it was cozy, warm and inviting. So I stayed there, I didn’t have somewhere to be, coffee was calling my name but the pull of the covers won out. As I surfed the web I started to think about the various holidays going on and how right now it’s Hanukkah. I have always lived fairly close to a Temple, had Jewish friends, and when in the hospital the sweet little Bubbeh comes finds me and spends hours speaking Yiddish to me. I never can answer so I just smile nod my head and pat her hand right back.

I love Potato Pancakes they might be the perfect comfort food to me, I order them wherever I can. I have never made them, they seemed like impossibility. My friend Ingie, made them for us last year… they where to die for! But mind you this is the same amazing women who made deviled quails eggs for a party we all had… Yes, it took hours to make them. So this morning when I finally rolled out of bed I thought POTATO PANCAKES for brunch!!! I knew I had everything I needed; I had been searching recipes for days.

Ok so let me say this the recipe below is delish, I just combined all the ones I had read, the only thing I would do different is add parsley and wring the potatoes for a bit longer… so enjoy ! PS I made them with out my daily needed coffee! Also please note that I made them with out my much-needed coffee… wait I still need that Coffee!!!!


Ok on a total side note, Target has Mrs. Meyers Iowa Pine Cleaning Soap and Spray on sale for 2.99 it is heavenly, and very enviro friendly! ( you can see it it in several of my pictures)

Potato Pancakes aka Latkes

5- medium baking potatoes

1- onion

2- eggs

2 tablespoons flour

Salt to taste

Pepper to taste

1-teaspoon garlic powder

Vegetable oil

Butter 2 pats

½ cup greek yougart

½ cup sour cream

½ applesauce

Directions

Prep eggs, flour, salt, and pepper and garlic powder

Grate onion with either a hand grater or food processor.

Using a hand grater or food processor, grate the potatoes. Wring dry in a dishtowel. Put into a mixing bowl, and toss with onion, eggs, and flour. Mix well. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder.

In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, cover the bottom with 1/2-inch of oil. Add 1 pat of butter too! When the oil is hot, spoon 2 tablespoons of the filling into individual cakes. Using the back of the spoon, flatten each pancake. Pan-fry until golden brown on each side, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the oil and drain on paper towels. Fry the cakes in batches and do not over crowd the pan.

Mix the greek yougart with the sour cream to create a yummy low- fat lower cal topping!

To serve, place a dollop of the applesauce and/ or sour cream in the center of each latke. Place the latkes on a platter and serve warm.



No comments:

Post a Comment